The other day while browsing at a large hobby store, I came across a poster, basically a picture of a sign. Whether it was a real photo or one dreamed up in PhotoShop I didn’t know, and didn’t care. I knew it would be better as a real sign. So I pulled out my phone and snapped a photo. I knew I had similar colors from previous work and decided I would only use things that I already had on hand.
The first step was assessing the board to use for the sign. I had an eight-foot 2×6 along with some 1×1 just begging to be used.
After a few hours work, I had a start to my sign.
The cuts weren’t perfect, but perfect for what I wanted. I sanded with 120 grit paper, then again with 50 grit paper. I brushed on my left-over paint, then repeated the sanding process.
Here’s where I broke the “only-what-I-had-on-hand” rule. I needed stencils. Or rather, I wanted stencils. Hand-lettering was not something on which I was willing to spend time. Found some at Wal-Mart (Lowes? Really? One set of stencils?)
I settled in to add my words of hope to the wood. I got out white paint and stenciled away.
But the color didn’t look right. I found an old can of paint that had hardly been used; a coral-pinkish color. I proceeded fill in the inner portion of the letters with this darker color. So much for no hand-lettering, but at least now I had a guide.
Then I sanded yet again, to give it that weathered look.
Screwed these boards to the 1x1s and bam, there’s a sign!
I debated whether or not to add polyurethane. I tested on one of my pieces on which I experimented with green, decided I didn’t like it, then tried to add the coral on top of that. Nyet. But it works for testing! Poly doesn’t look too bad. (But now my sign has no hope.)
I decided the polyurethane wasn’t bad, so slapped a couple of coats on the front.
Next I’ll sand it with some 220 grit to remove imperfections, then hang it on my daughter’s wall.